Monday 20 July 2015

Rudai 23 Thing 5 - Online Networks


So for most of us Librarians, FB is something most of us know by now. However the one element of FB that I have been trying to change is the social element!
I don't like posting pictures anyway, so apart from a few stray bridesmaid photos (taken after midnight) I am safe to say that the social aspect of my FB account is well and truly boring!

Boring is okay with me, I am a single 34 year old woman and I like boring, (well the secret me and the crazy me you will not get all over Facebook I will keep that private, thanks very much!)
So in order to keep my FB account in check I tend to find all things library, cats, news, politics, etc.

Changing FB is a challenge and my advice is that, always be aware, for instance if you are a recent graduate - employers will check your FB profile and lots more, so if you do want the social element of FB, get your privacy settings in check.


I do love the many groups that can be found on FB, and as a lover of all things bookish there is a great book club by Rick O'Shea at 2FM and the group of people are fabulous, I love having a natter about all the books! We tag poor Rick in all kinds of conversations, too funny.

As much as I love social media I LOVE Twitter, I opened up an account in college as we began to attend conferences library peeps informed us to start tweeting and build up a profile. This really worked, if it wasn't for twitter I would not be (a) part of uklibchat (b) with SLA digital committee or (c) doing this as I found out about each one through Twitter!

Following the # from various conferences is a great way to get involved in something that you may not be able to afford,
Twitter chats for Librarians are very frequent and are an excellent way to get to now peeps.

Here is a list of some of the chats I follow:

  1. The official home of  Mondays at 9pm ET hosted by Leigh Milligan Founded by Naomi House
  2. Official account for . Our next will be on at a later date,Thursday July 9th from 6:30-8:30! Topic: Library Induction Sessions!
  3. SLA is the global organization for information professionals and their strategic partners. - check out @librarysherpa also she is awesome! 
  4. @SLIPIreland Students, Librarians & Information Professionals Ireland is a group formed and run by postgraduate students studying library and information studies - Ireland · slipireland.blogspot.ie 


I think I might compile a list of twitter chats it maybe a good resource to have on my blog.

To wrap up, I do like to keep an element of FB social but in a professional fun way, I am a professional and I am a grown up so I should act like one really! 
Twitter, sometimes the celebs creep into my feed and it is fun to retweet them, but as far as content I put out it is alot more professional and I like it that way.

Let me know if peeps need help with anything, I will be more than happy to help - @shivguinn 


No comments:

Post a Comment