Thursday 6 August 2015

Rudai 23 - Thing 8 - Curation Tools

Really excited about thing 8!
So having had Feedly for a while, it proved good for articles as I needed new content every week for uklibchat twitter account.
However in the last few months I have noticed I am finding less and less, maybe I need to take another look at what sites I have listed.
Flipboard I had never heard of and I am super excited to find a new application. It is very different to Feedly and I have to admit slightly confusing,
In order to find the articles I need to follow people?? But the only people I can find that have any content is Jan! Having a play around with the options leads me to enter a search for libraries and I find some of the content that I have been reading via Feedly, Boing Boing magazine is one good, Cory Doctrow is an excellent blogger.
However I am finding the best way is to search people who have alot of viewers and followers, something like twitter, and then by searching their content you can find certain magazines, blogs etc that have good current content.
One person I came across is Education Technology and Libraries by James! His page flips consist of a comment at the top of the page of his thoughts about the article, which is an amazing idea! And you can start a conversation with him about the content. Really like this idea!

Pinterest is something I played around with a bit, and I like the idea within libraries it is a good idea and it is very popular but professionally I would stick to one bookmarking tool, at the moment it is the good ole bookmark bar! On google chrome it keeps them all no matter what computer you are on as long as you are logged into Gmail!

Storify is great especially for twitter chats, we use it now for uklibchat, and it is quick and easy.
It is also good to do this as an individual. I find I get alot more information as I go through the tweets. More important I find people who I may have had a quick connection with and then as you move on through the chat you forget them, so it is super important to go back and reach out to them.




2 comments:

  1. I found flipboard confusing too much of the content I wanted to add never showed till i had logged out and in again. I would prefer to see it moved straight away so I can keep track

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emmet, I am still getting used to it and I have found I am not eager to use it, which is a sign in itself.
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete