Tuesday 29 September 2015

Rudai 23 Thing 15 Advocacy

Advocacy and libraries. I think our politicians need to do a Masters in this. But this blog post will have to do!

I try to do Advocacy for libraries everywhere! If I am on the train and I notice someone reading, I will try and spark a conversation regarding the book and then I am off, libraries, libraries, libraries.

Recently I was at an archaeology workshop (it was part of Heritage Week) and I thought how will I be able to bring libraries into this. BOOM.
It began subtlely, with people asking what I do and they going "A librarian, why are you here"? When they realised I was with the heritage council and I was looking after the library for a few months they became super interested in the material that was stored there.
For the three-day workshop, I did not stop talking about libraries, books, rare books, history, special collections, etc. etc. you get my drift.
Many of the people there were from a heritage, history, archaeology background and they understood the role of a library but not a librarian and the skill set they possess.
It really was an amazing experience to engage with these very intelligent people and have them be astonished by the fact that I had a Masters in Librarianship.
And I think Advocacy for libraries needs to start with telling people "We are a profession" "We have many skills, look.." and then building the library around us and how we make it function for our different communities and users.

I was at the Ploughing Championships last week with the heritage council and we had a competition to win a 50 Euro book voucher. All the kids wanted to have a go at the questions but one teenager had to let her feelings be known, and she said "A book voucher" I HATE READING.
I nearly cried, I really did. I could not believe my ears. I looked to the mother who threw her eyes up to the sky as if to say "What can I do".
Where is the nearest library, is all I wanted to say. Just go to the library, please!

When schools or colleges invite people to speak for careers day we as librarians need to be there. Start advocating for libraries with the young people, somehow we might get through to the next generation of politicians.

I love libraries, but most of all I love librarians!











No comments:

Post a Comment