Monday 19 October 2015

Rudai 23 Thing 16 Collaboration Tools

Playing  catch up!

I love Collaboration, it is fun and very, very easy through the many collaboration tools that exist.

Outlined in the blog post are two tools, Google Doc's and Doodle. I use both, and I find them super easy and quick.

I like to research these terms as I move through my CPD this year and this website is an excellent resource: http://www.aiim.org/What-is-Collaboration

I also like the above diagram, the two elements I find to be very useful is the motivation behind a collaboration, you can have all the tools in the world but motivation is key, and if you don't give it 100% it can damage your reputation as a professional.

The second element is reflection this is crucial as most collaborations are about learning how to collaborate as well as the work itself. If the group is using new tools this can be a super challenge, Google Doc's can be a minefield if you don't organise the material as you go.

The need to understand people in a deeper way is very important, in some cases collaboration is virtual so you don't have the face to face interaction. Be careful when writing an email, the tone and use of your language is very important. And know when to stay out of a string of emails that have nothing to do with you. 

In some situations, you will have a team lead the person that set up the collaboration. However other times it will be a democracy, however if you are not happy with situations, let your feelings be known. This is very important, you will meet these people one day and the last thing you want is to dread it over a silly email, you are a professional, go and be one.

As you can see from my Twitter bio, @shivguinn, I am a big collaborator and volunteer and you have to remember you represent that company or association when you get involved, the same way you would represent the organisation you work for. 
I would recommend it to everyone, it is very rewarding and you learn so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment