Friday 10 July 2015

Rudai23 - Thing 2: Writing a Blog post Topic: Write about how/why you became a librarian.

Librarian, me! I still find this very hard to believe to be honest.
Growing up as an only child, books were my friends. But when it came to school, school was not my friend.
Learning was a chore because my imagination was on fire, and daydreaming was my homework.
As I finish school, I get a job because in my family that's what you did when you finished school.

The library profession was, or any profession for that matter, was for other people. Don't ask me who this other was, it was just not me!
Fast forward to my thirties and yes I am a qualified librarian, how or why is a difficult one to answer.
How - serendipity really, just to take the fun out of it!
Why - because I knew it was me, it was my love of libraries and books and knowledge as a child and adult. Information was something I always sought out, but on my own terms, (hence not liking school) and I loved animals. If I spent every Saturday as an eleven year old in the library surrounded my encyclopedia's trying to understand a Lynx I was as happy as a pig in poo!
This is a Lynx, so beautiful -

But none of this occurred to me as I searched for a new career path in my late twenties, until I matched what at the time I loved politics and social media. I was knee deep in middle eastern politics at the time and the topic of conversation on everyone's lips was the Arab Spring.
Cue elective, as I searched knowing I could focus on this topic of politics and social media, and that it could and would bring me on a great journey into a new career my search lands on the School of Library and Information Studies and a module called Cybersociety!

And that is history, over the next few weeks I gathered as much information as I possibly could on the MLIS and the more information I got about a career in Librarianship the more I truly knew this was for me. Social media and politics is still there but my true calling has been a librarian.

I am 2 years qualified and have been very lucky with the opportunities that have come my way and the experience I have gained.

And we are a great bunch of people!





No comments:

Post a Comment