Thursday 12 November 2015

Rudai 23 Thing 18 Communicating through Photographs

Communicating through photographs is not something I have embraced. 

I have an Instagram account and I follow a lot of celebs, it is the only social media platform where I actively and unashamedly stalk famous people. 

When I do take pictures, it is about books and funny pictures, all non-professional and fun. Today's task makes me think about Instagram in a professional context. 

How would I use Instagram in a library setting?

The challenge with Instagram and libraries is to keep all the posts interesting, and to always have a comment, this can be tricky if you have a small library. 

The chosen account for this task is LSE Review of Books, and it is really good. Already I have ordered a book from my local bookstore. However a lot of the content is very old, and they haven't posted anything is 16 weeks, which is very disappointing.

You have to think of all the ways in which to promote your library. And we all know a library is not all about books. 
In order to do this, you could really look at your users and see how you could increase user activity in a certain area. For instance you may not have many students using your library, so one way could be to connect with academic libraries and showcase a study area, or a maker-space area. 

Public Libraries always have events on and by connecting with like-minded people you can use Instagram to reach out to a wider audience. 

I am always amazed at how little the general population know about libraries, they all see the public library and they all see books. Instagram is a quick and easy way to showcase to your community and to the wider population. Give clear insights into how your library operates, show what librarians actually do, and reach out and connect with the academic and health library in your area to show people the bigger picture. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment